The Chemistry of Paint-Chemicals in the Paint Industry
Functions of Paints
- Enhance the quality of natural and synthetic materials and serves as a barrier against harsh environmental conditions
- Decorative paints: Improve the appearance and safeguard buildings and other objects
- Industrial coatings: Applied in factories to finish manufactured goods such as cars
Components of Paints
- Pigments: Provides color and opacity
o Titanium oxide: Used widely as an inorganic pigment to provide “luster” to the paint
o Calcium carbonate: A form of inorganic pigment that is mixed with titanium dioxide to produce “matt” paint
o Zinc Phosphate: Prevent corrosion of paints
- Binder/Resin: Aids to keep the pigment in place
o Acrylic polymers: Manufactured by passing a mixture of ethanoic acid vapor, ethene, and oxygen overheated palladium(ll) and copper(ll) chlorides
o Alkyd polymers: Manufactured by reacting a polyol such as propane-1,2,3-triol (glycerol) with a dibasic acid such as benzene-1,2-dicarboxylic (phthalic) anhydride and a drying oil (linseed or soybean oil)
o Epoxy polymers: Manufactured by mixing 1-chloro-2,3-epoxypropane (produced from 3-chloropropene) and substituted phenols, such as bisphenol A
- Extender: Pigments that are bigger in size which helps to improve bonding
- Solvent/Thinner: To reduce the thickness of paints for a wide variety of uses
- Additives: Change the properties of paints in order to suit different needs
o Dispersants: Isolate and preserve pigment particles
o Silicones: Enhance the ability to external conditions
o Thixotropic Agents: Allows consistency in the quality of paint
o Driers: Shorten the time for the paint to dry
Many of these components can be bought from paint chemical traders and distributors such as Tradeasia International Pte Ltd. We hold a very strong portfolio for paint chemicals. They are one of the trusted titanium oxide suppliers and calcium carbonate trader.
What makes a Good Paint?
- Ability to be used in a variety of applications
- Good opacity
- Paint dries very quickly
- Protection against water and heat
- Good color stability against visible and ultraviolet rays
Future of Paints
- Water-based gloss paints: Intensive R&D work has been put into developing water-based gloss paints that are greener and higher quality
- High solids paint: Figuring how to improve the structure of the polymer used in the paint with the objective to produce one that is of low viscosity and good furnishing
- Powder coatings: It is commonly used in the form of sprays on objects like bicycles. However, powder coating is usually used at high temperatures and thus more work is required to produce one that works at low temperatures.
You may like to browse through our product catalog to find out more about pigments, binders, and additives.